FAQ: ONline sales of glasses and contact lenses
Will you give me my Prescription if I want to purchase online?
- Absolutely. It's your right as a consumer to be able to take a copy of your prescription anywhere you choose including online. The one caveat here is that your glasses prescription and your contact lens prescription are NOT the same thing! There is a process to fitting contact lenses that ensures they fit you safely, comfortably and provide good vision. Once a contact lens prescription has been determined you can have a copy of it as well.
isn't online way cheaper?
- Surprisingly online is not always cheaper. Our contact lens prices are about the same as online plus we also have manufacturers rebates that can save you as much as $100 off your contact lens supply! As a result buying contact lenses from us is often cheaper than online! For glasses we offer packages for single vision glasses as low as $125. You can get glasses for less online but our next point addresses why that might not be ideal.
Why is online cheaper for glasses?
- There are several answers to this question. First of all the frames we are selling you are all current and all come with at least a one year manufacturer's warranty. Many online stores offer discontinued frames, do not have warranties and in some cases even sell counterfeit products! Our lenses are also of an excellent quality even in our package deals. Any lens purchased from us also comes with at least a one year manufacturer's warranty. We also ensure that any lens purchased through us has all the correct measurements and the correct prescription and double check that the lenses are made correctly. Studies done in both the United States and Canada have found that about 50% of glasses purchased from many online retailers do not meet minimum safety standards, have a prescription different from what was ordered or do not have the correct measurements. Our trained professionals will ensure that any glasses purchased online from us will be exactly what you ordered.
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ORDERING CONTACT LENSES FROM YOU OR FROM ONLINE? AREN'T THEY ALL THE SAME?
- Contact lenses from us and contact lenses ordered online SHOULD be exactly the same. Unfortunately this isn't always the case. The majority of contact lenses sold online are completely legitimate but occasionally counterfeit lenses bought by online companies from a third party enter the market. These are labelled the same as the contact lens brand you may be wearing but when you try to use them you instantly notice the difference. Contact lenses are also a medical device that must be stored in proper conditions. If they are left in a warehouse that is too hot or too cold the contact lenses can be damaged resulting in an increased risk of infection and decreased comfort and vision with the lens.
Do things like PD and fitting heights really matter?
- The short answer is yes. Your PD (pupillary distance, the distance between your eyes) is very important. If measured incorrectly you are likely to experience headaches, eyestrain, blurred vision and possibly even double vision. It won't kill you, but it won't be pleasant and you certainly won't like your glasses. That's why if you haven't gotten your PD measured professionally we want you to come in and get your PD measured instead of just putting in what you think it might be.
Your fitting height is where the optical centre of the lens sits. With digital single vision lenses, bifocals and progressives fitting height, PD and all of the many other measurements taken need to be done perfectly to provide you with the best possible vision. Most online retailers use an average measurement that works for most people and assume that will work for you as well. That can compromise how well your glasses work for you. Those measurements can also vary depending on how you hold your head, where and how you wear your glasses and what activities you do while wearing glasses. Those are all things that simply cannot be known with an online sale.
Why should I come in to pick out glasses instead of purchasing online?
- At Eye Spy Optometry we really don't love online glasses sales. Glasses are just way too personal! Even if the measurements are identical from one frame from to another you can't guarantee that they will fit you exactly the same (much like a size 6 at one store is not the exact same size a size 6 from another store or how one pair of pants may fit completely differently from another even if they're the same size just because of how they're cut). Even if we ignore the issue of not knowing if a frame fits you properly, choosing what lens is best and what coatings are right for you is complicated. Online ordering systems have 'dumbed down' the process significantly but there are literally hundreds of different lens and coating options available. Our job is to help you find the right lens and this is almost impossible to do online.
Finally the measurements we take really matter. Your PD, fitting height, frame wrap and pantoscopic tilt may not be the most important measurements we take but if they're wrong you're going to notice and you won't be happy. Letting us properly and professionally measure them helps to ensure that your glasses come back to you perfectly.
AN online shopping option
We know that for some of you it's just easier and more convenient to shop online and that's what you prefer to do! We don't want you to feel left out so we've partnered with EyeShop.ca to provide you with an online option.
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BUYING ONLINE FROM Eyeshop.ca AND ONLINE FROM SOMEONE ELSE?
- Here are the major differences:
- EyeShop.ca has hired trained, professional opticians that will make sure that what you order is what you receive. This is not the case for many online retailers that have technicians that don't understand optics making your glasses and sending them off without ensuring that you're getting what you order.
- EyeShop.ca works with us. That means they have a physical location here in Calgary (us)! If you're having trouble with your new glasses you can come in and we can help troubleshoot with you at no extra charge! Most other online stores can't troubleshoot with you and will send you to an optometry office or optical store to troubleshoot (which can end up costing you extra fees). This also means you can get important measurements like your PD done professionally.
- If you purchase through EyeShop.ca you pick up your new glasses in our office so we can make sure they are adjusted to fit you properly and comfortably and also to make sure you see the way you expect!
- All glasses purchased from EyeShop.ca come with a one year manufacturer's warranty.
- All frames from EyeShop.ca are current and come directly from the manufacturer. Their contact lenses also all come directly from the manufacturer. Ordering contact lenses elsewhere online may mean you aren't getting quite what you think you are.
- If they see an error in your order, something that doesn't make sense or something that may result in a pair of glasses that won't live up to your expectations they will contact either you or us to correct the problem.
WHY DOes eyeshop.ca REQUIRE A PRESCRIPTION FROM ME? I CAN ORDER CONTACTS AND GLASSES ONLINE ELSEWHERE AND JUST TYPE IN MY PRESCRIPTION
- Current legislation does allow you to order contact lenses and glasses online without a recent prescription. Optometrists and opticians are not allowed to do the same thing! We are required to have a current glasses or contact lens prescription prior to providing you with glasses or contacts. There are several reasons for this. The first is that eye exams check much more than vision and without a yearly exam potentially blinding eye disease could be missed. The second is that your prescription can change and cause problems like headaches and eyestrain even if the vision seems fine. EyeShop.ca agrees that an up to date prescription is needed to give you the best and safest glasses or contact lenses.